I noticed over the weekend that the long branches were beginning to actively back bud. This is a good sign. So I decided to remove all that length, full of clearly dead leaves, and let the plant focus on those buds down at the points where I want the branching and twigging to begin in earnest.
This is a bit early. I’d wanted to wait for genuine dormancy. But, perhaps, given the controlled green house conditions, I can get enough new growth in place before that dormancy so that I can do some wiring over the winter.
Notice each cut is just above a bud. Sorry they are hard to see in some cases, it was difficult to get the photos sufficiently close up and still 100% in focus.
And there you go!
Hopefully I will have photos of happy, fresh, new growth soon.